History of the Department
The Department of History was established along with the inception of the college in the year 1975. History was offered as a subject at PUC level. B.A. Degree Course in History was functioning from the Academic Year 1978-79. The department is having well qualified, dedicated and experienced faculty members.
The faculty has 4 members. In addition to teaching, the faculties are actively engaged in research and development programmes.
The Department of History is conducting Field Visit, Exhibitions, Workshops and useful meeting through Humanities Association and Human Rights Club. The Department has MOU with the Department of Epigraphy and Archaeology, Tamil University, Thanjavur and the Department of History, A.V.C. College, Mannampandal, Mayiladuthurai. Under MOU, the Department conducted inscription Decipher Training, Heritage tour and academic exchange programmes to enhance the historical knowledge of the students. It also has linkages with Danish Port, Tranquebar and Travel Agencies for tourism.
- The course structure is designed meticulously and the syllabus is framed to equip the students for competitive examinations.
- Special coaching classes are arranged periodically for the benefit of rural students.
- Inter-disciplinary electives are offered Gandhian thought, Human Rights and Working of Indian Constitution.
- Organising exhibitions on Women Empowerment, Human Rights and Archeaology.
- The department also has facilities for organising workshop, seminars, field visit and training programmes for students.
- The department conducted two UGC sponsored National Seminar on Human Rights and Archaeology in 2004 and 2013 respectively.
- Three UGC sponsored minor research projects have been completed by the staff members.
- Also the department conducted career oriented programme on Tourism and Journalism sponsored by UGC.
- To maintain a professional syllabus.
- To enter job in the field of administration - UPSC, TNPSC, teaching profession of all cadre, Advocates, Journalists and Officials in Tourism department.
- To mould the students into decent, disciplined with hereditary culture of our nation.
- To provide quality education to enhance their knowledge to enter into job and higher education.
- To glorify our Indian tradition, customs, civilization and continuity of progress from past to the present.
- To develop the humanities, sympathy, livelihood and regulation in life and society.
- To generate interest among the students about history and Social Sciences.
- To impart the students an extensive knowledge of history and related subjects.
- To prepare the students for writing competitive examination.
- To equip the students to undertake different professions like Teachers, Advocate, Archaeologist and Journalists etc.
- To motivate the students to obtain political knowledge.