HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The department of biochemistry was established in the year 1994 as a self financing section of and recognized by the Government of Tamilnadu. At present the department offers under graduate department, offering B.Sc Biochemistry. Programme in Biochemistry with a special emphasis on basics of biochemistry, advanced subjects and innovative techniques in Modern biology.
The department is effectively run by the qualified and well experienced faculty members who contribute their service to young students and research scholars. Further, the department is well equipped with various research equipments like centrifuge, Hot air oven, Muffle Furnace, Laminar air flow.
Department of biochemistry produced so many rank holders. The specialty of the department strong alumni and placement of the department in different academic fields. The department has a shaped and best out gone students for various industries and various laboratory. Department has Industrial institute linkage with Amman Biocare and Selva’s Diagnostic lab.
- Provide students with learning experiences that help in still deep interests in learning biochemistry; develop broad and balanced knowledge and understanding of biomolecules, key biochemical concepts, principles and theories related to biochemistry; and equip students with appropriate tools of analysis and with theoretical, technical and analytical skills to tackle issues and problems in the field of biochemistry.
- Expose the students to a wide range of careers that combine biology, plants and medicine.
- Provide students with some work experience, for example a summer internship or a research project in a research laboratory to further boost the career prospects.
- Develop in students the ability to apply the knowledge and skills they have acquired to the solution of specific theoretical and applied problems in biochemistry.
- Student participation in all U.G. activities; via, Seminars, Group discussion, Journal club etc. is mandatory and provides training in oral communication skills.
- The department has a well-equipped departmental library.
- We train students to be familiar with the principles and procedures needed for working in a conventional & specialized medical laboratory.
To achieve academic excellence in biochemistry of imparting in-depth knowledge to the students, facilitating research activities and cater to the ever changing industrial demand & societal needs. To be a centre of excellence in the discipline of biochemistry. Changing the world through scientific discoveries and empowering educational experiences for all students.
The mission of the B.SC., degree program in the Department of Biochemistry is to provide undergraduate students with a foundational understanding of the chemical basis of biological processes as well as the skill sets to critically evaluate, interpret and create biochemical information.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the molecular machinery of living cells;
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles that govern the structures of macromolecules and their participation in molecular recognition;
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles and basic mechanisms of metabolic control and molecular signalling;
- Use basic laboratory skills and apparatus to obtain reproducible data from biochemical experiments;
- Implement experimental protocols, and adapt them to plan and carry out simple investigations;
- Analyse, interpret, and participate in reporting to their peers on the results of their laboratory experiments;
- Participate in and report orally on team work investigations of problem-based assignments;
- Build on their knowledge and understanding in tackling more advanced and specialised courses, and more widely to pursue independent, self-directed and critical learning.
- Strong industry interface with leading diagnostic companies.
- Well qualified and experienced staff members with expertise in different areas of research.
- Well equipped laboratory
- Specialization in research areas in cancer biology, nanotechnology, medicinal plant research, toxicology, Clinical Biochemistry, Neurobiology
- Literacy club to strengthen the communication skills of our students.